Drivers in Virginia who are insured with Progressive may be eligible to save up to 30% on their auto insurance with a new program, Snapshot, being launched next month that is based on how, how much, and when they drive.
How it Works
• After drivers sign up for the Snapshot program, Progressive sends them a device that fits in the palm of their hand and plugs into the on-board diagnostic (OBD) port of their car. The device records and sends the driving data to the insurer.
• After 30 days, customers will find out if they're eligible for a discount — up to 30 percent — based on their driving habits and will see that discount applied to their policy. People who drive less, in safer ways and during safer times of day are more likely to get a discount.
• At the end of the six-month policy term Progressive will determine the renewal discount and the customer returns the device to the company.
• Progressive may periodically check in with customers to get an updated picture of their driving by asking them to plug in the device again.
• The Snapshot program is available to new Virginia customers who buy policies directly from Progressive.
• Customers can log in to their policy on progressive.com during the six-month period the device is plugged in to see how their driving habits affect their rate, and, if they choose, make changes that could lead to greater savings. Customers will also see whether they are on track for a discount after 30 days.
• Snapshot is voluntary and customers can opt out at any time. It won't make customers' rates go up.
• The Snapshot device measures how, how much and when customers drive their vehicle. It doesn't have GPS, so it doesn't track a vehicle's location.
Richard Hutchinson, Progressive's general manager of usage-based insurance?, said: "More than 100,000 customers countrywide get personalized car insurance rates by sharing a picture of how, how much, and when they drive. Now, Virginia customers are just 30 days away from saving up to 30 percent with the Snapshot program."
"The Snapshot Discount is transforming auto insurance because, for the first time, drivers can pay for car insurance based on how they drive."