Posted on 01 Sep 2009
Mercury Insurance has dispatched a mobile response unit to the La Canada, California evacuation center to assist homeowners and families with wildfire claims, helping to expedite the claims process.
The insurer said that claims also could be reported 24 hours a day, seven days a week to the Mercury Claims Hotline at (800) 503-3724.
"The Mercury claims team is here for our customers in the event they need to make a claim during this difficult time," said Joanna Moore, Mercury's chief claims officer. "Events such as these fires can be devastating and we will do everything we can to help our policyholders get back to normal as quickly as possible."
To help speed the claims process, Mercury suggests claimants consider the following tips when filing a claim:
· Contact Mercury immediately to report your loss.
· Do not remove debris or damaged property that may be related to your claim.
Steps after filing a claim:
· Prepare a detailed inventory of destroyed or damaged property.
· Offer photos or videotapes of your home and possessions to your adjuster, if these are available.
· Keep copies of communications between you and your adjuster.
· Keep records and receipts for additional living expenses that were incurred if you were forced to leave your home, and provide copies to your adjuster.