Posted on 04 Apr 11
The Willis Foundation, a nonprofit corporation affiliated with Willis Group Holdings, the global insurance broker, today announced more than $220,000 worth of grants.
The Willis Foundation, founded in May 2010 is committed to supporting community-based nonprofit organizations. After raising more than $1 million dollars in its inaugural fundraising event late last year, the Willis Foundation is pleased to begin distributing funds to worthy organizations across the United States.
Grants are being dispersed to more than 40 organizations and include:
- A donation of $30,500 to Restore the Dream Centers, a United Way agency in Nashville, TN. Restore the Dreams Centers is a fund designed to assist nonprofit organizations throughout Tennessee recover and resume operations in the event of a natural or man-made disaster.
- A contribution of $25,000 to the Baton Rouge Area Foundation. The Foundation provides the Louisiana capital region with the means to support the needs of its communities and its members. This includes helping donors fulfill their philanthropic goals and sponsoring community projects.
- A $10,000 donation to Kids Food Basket in Grand Rapid, MI, which is a nonprofit organization committed to combating childhood hunger in the greater Grand Rapids area. With the help of volunteers, the Kids Food Basket provides nutritious evening meals to children and education on the issue of hunger.
- An $8,000 grant to The Ivymount School in Rockville, MD. The Ivymount School provides school and community-based services for children and young adults with special needs throughout the Washington metropolitan area.
- A donation of $8,000 to the Georgia Chapter of the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America. Crohn's & Colitis is a nonprofit, volunteer-driven organization dedicated to finding a cure for Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, also known as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
- A contribution of $8,000 to Loaves & Fishes in Charlotte, NC, which is a nonprofit emergency food pantry that provides nutritious groceries and support to Charlotte-based individuals and families facing a crisis.
- A grant of $7,000 to All Faiths Food Bank in Sarasota, FL. All Faiths Food Bank collects and distributes food for nonprofit agencies offering hunger relief. The organization is committed to reducing food waste and to educating the community on nutrition and the issue of hunger.
“The Willis Foundation is committed to making a difference in the communities where we work and live. These contributions will go a long way towards supporting the great work these organizations do,” said Todd Jones, President of The Willis Foundation.
Local nonprofit organizations were selected by Willis Associates from across the country and individual check presentations will be held at various times.
About the Willis Foundation
Based in Nashville, TN, The Willis Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation affiliated with Willis Group Holdings that encourages Willis Associates and Willis North America’s key business partners to participate in charitable activities. Throughout the year, The Willis Foundation intends to organize and sponsor fundraising events such as races, dinners and creative competitions and will, in turn, make charitable contributions to charities recommended by Willis Associates. For more information on The Willis Foundation, please visit www.thewillisfoundation.org.